Battle of the Books
The SJCSD Battle of the Books is an academic competition for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Participants will read the 2019-2020 Sunshine State Young Reader’s Award (SSYRA) titles throughout the year and take AR quizzes to test their comprehension. Students who read at least 10 books and pass the quizzes will be allowed to tryout for the Webster Battle of the Books team. Students who are interested in trying out should pay attention to the plots, characters, settings, and events in each of the books, and be prepared to determine the title of the book based on quotes. The team will represent Webster at the SJCSD Battle of the Books competition in May 2018. Please see Mrs. Bauer or Mrs. Fazio if you have any questions.
- Students must be in 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade.
- Students must have read a minimum of 10 SSYRA books and passed the quizzes with a score of 80% or higher.
- Questions will be a mix of quotes and questions from the SSYRA books.
- 5 students will be selected for the team along with 2 alternates.
- Students who read all or most of the fifteen SSYRA books will be invited to attend the Battle of the Books competition and cheer for the Webster team.
- TBD: Last day to take quizzes for the SSYRA books if you want to try out
- TBD: Webster Battle of the Books team tryouts
- TBD: Practices for the Battle of the Books team
- January 28, 2020: District Battle of the Books